Sunday, June 12, 2011

Piggyback

I hate to piggyback on another blogger's post, but I want to add my two cents to a post by Brigid at HOTR earlier this week discussing attributes of the Springfield Armory XD/XDM series of pistols.

Like many, I have always had and will always have an affinity for the 1911 pistol.  I have had several, but I currently find myself without a 1911 of any kind.  It's the features of the 1911, (external hammer and safety) that appealed to me in my first polymer pistol, the H&K USP in 9mm.  With the USP, I had a lighter polymer carry weapon, high capacity magazine, a tough matte finish, and grip angle and feel that was better than the Glock.  My one and only complaint with the USP was the polygonal rifling made the use of cast lead bullets a problem for practice shooting.

My next polymer pistol was a Glock 20 in 10mm.  I have long since traded away the Glock, but I still have an interest in the 10mm cartridge.  The 10mm is like lightning in a bottle, with the ability to load them 15+ in the magazine and a muzzle velocity of around 1300 fps with 170 gr bullet.

As Brigid discussed, the Glock has to be one of the most recognizable and used polymer guns in the market, but to me, is about ad natural and comfortable as trying to grip and hold a 2 X 4 pine board.  That seems to be one of the most common complaints of most shooters of the Glock.





After I finished my weekly mowing and yard work yesterday, I decided to fire up the grill and throw on some pork chops.  As I was waiting for the coals to burn, I decided to try a little "back yard ballistics" or recoil therapy.  What ever we call it, I hadn't fired a weapon since cold weather was here.  I decided to set up a target and fire of a magazine or two, just to see how rusty I have become since last summer.

Springfield Armory XDm 9mm and XDm .40 S&W

I have a couple of XDm pistols that I have been shooting off and on now for about a year or so.  I got the .40 S&W first, and I liked how it shot so well that I had to buy and try the 9mm.  I have also been trying to find a good practice/target load for both calibers since I started shooting them.  As you will see from my target, I believe I have something that will group well in 9mm, but the .40 S&W will need a little more experimentation.

I had a pretty good group going with the 9mm with 19/20 in the black.  

My group with the .40 S&W was a little sloppier with 17/17 in black, but several shots out in the 8 ring.
I figure, by the time I get through this box of ammo, those groups will be a little tighter and my muscle-memory will be back to the level that I can place may shots where I want rather than close to where I want them.  No doubt, the XDm can do it's part even if I can't always do mine!  If time allows, I might even try some of the F.A.S.T. drills that I've been reading about over at Pistol-Training.com from ToddG.

Now, get out and shoot!
Blue Steel

No comments:

Post a Comment