Monday, March 14, 2011


There is a man who lives in my area that has the reputation for being one of the best shooters around.  He is extremely proficient in shooting handguns and shotguns, but he is especially well known for his ability to shoot  rifles at long ranges.  I, like many others in my little part of the world, have heard many stories about this man's ability to shoot a rifle at ranges many people around here find unbelievable.  I was lucky enough to meet him about 7-8 years ago.  I got a shooting education.  

This man has forgot more about shooting than I will ever know.  He owned a big farm that ran along the Ohio river.  On a bare strip of ground that paralleled the river, he had a 5'X10' steel plate set at 1000 yards.  When I first went with him to this range, we sat at a solid built bench that he had set in concrete, and looking down at the far end of the field/range was a small white speck... the 5'X10' target.  My new friend and shooting mentor set up the bench with rifles rests, spotting scope, custom loaded ammo, and a Winchester model 70 Laredo rifle in .300 Winchester Magnum.  Until this point, if I shot anything up to 100 yards and hit it, I thought I was doing great.  

On this day, my friend told me I was going to shoot and hit that steel target at the far end of the field that I could only barely see with the naked eye.  As he coached me through the proper way to grip, hold, aim, steady, and fire that big ole' .300 Win Mag, after about 2-3 seconds, I heard the faint ring of bullet impact on steel.  This first exposure to long range shooting was all it took for my desire to root and grow.  I have since fired many, many more long range shots on that range and with my friend.  It is because of this that I have the greatest respect for the men in the following story.  What I have learned to do for fun and as a hobby, these men, as well as others in various branches of military service, do to protect their fellow soldiers and to keep the bad guys out of our own back yards.  

Dead Men Risen: The snipers' story




I certainly thank the men who shoot long range to keep us all safe from evil.

2 comments:

  1. I am envious of the experience you've had with your friend. It's hard to find a place to shoot at that range in my area despite all the flat land we have here. Hopefully one of these days I will be able to learn that skill too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to head up to the bluegrass sometime, we would be more than happy to let get long range shooting in your blood!

    ReplyDelete