Thursday, February 10, 2011

Sick as a dog!


How much mucus can a normal human produce?  I had a typical winter time head cold last week, but by last Saturday, it had progressed into full blown sinusitis.  I went to the local walk-in clinic to get some relief on Monday.  That was an ordeal all in itself.  I went to work Monday morning to get thing squared away so that I could go to see the doctor.  As I was driving in, a blizzard was hitting the Bluegrass state.

By the time I made it to the clinic, which is about a 50 minute drive from work, the interstate highway was covered in snow, side roads covered in snow, and cars, trucks, even snowplows where off the roads in various places due to the driving conditions.  I finally make it to the clinic, get signed in and called back for my exam.  The first thing that the nurse does is check my temperature and my blood pressure.

Now, I had fever and chills on Saturday and Sunday, but Monday no fever and temp was normal.  Blood pressure was another story, 159/112.  I don't know much about  what normal blood pressure should be, but I knew that was a bit high.  Apparently it was really high because the nurse said, "oh, that's not good, we HAVE to get your bp down right away!"

With the sinus infection, my head already felt like it was two sizes too big and was about to pop off my body anyway, I certainly wouldn't have noticed any hypertension symptoms.  The nurse brings me a pill and says, "take this and I'll be back in to re-check your bp."  I asked her if I was about the to stroke out and the only response I got back was a quick glance and no answer, which was very reassuring.  After about 10 minutes the nurse comes back in and checks my bp again, now it's 139/97.  This seemed to make her fell more comfortable about sending in the nurse practitioner who was still more concerned about my bp than what I was there for originally.

After a quick check, I am prescribed some antibiotics and told to keep a check on my bp and told to tell my personal MD if it stays elevated.  I say ok and leave.  By this time, there is about 4-5 inches of snow and roads are terrible, but I manage to get home in one piece.  I take my meds as prescribed and all seems well until Tuesday.  Get up Tuesday and take my meds as prescribed, once in am, once in pm.  No problem, until about 10 minutes after tablet goes down.  Instant stomach upset and things go severely down hill from there (I'll save you from the ugly details).  I feel like hammered crap all day Tuesday.  Tuesday night about bed time, I take the pm tablet, and about 10 minutes later, guess what happens?

Wednesday, back to the Doctor again.  This time my bp was high but not as high a before, and I actually get treated for my sinusitis with two injections in the ole' rump.  Today I feel better, not good, but better.

To add insult to injury, when I tell my wife that my blood pressure has been elevated through this whole ordeal, she says to me; "you know, high blood pressure can cause erectile dysfunction."  We have been married for 15 years and dated for 8 years prior to marriage, and she has never been concerned about any of my dysfunctions, especially in that area.  What made her think that I wanted to hear that?  Talk about kicking a guy while he's down!

Hope everyone is having a better week than me.

Blue Steel

2 comments:

  1. Normally, I'd tell you that you'd get better in 7 days if you went to a doctor and a week if you stayed home, but that blood pressure needs some professional attention. 120/80 is normal. 159/112 is jacked. You been smokin' crack batman?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, man. I want you to feel better all the way around, but watch that blood pressure.
    Mr. Happy is one thing, Mr. Ticker is another thing altogether.
    You take care, my friend.

    ReplyDelete