Saturday, February 19, 2011

"BAWITDABA"


What an awesome Friday night!  My wife and I went to the Kid Rock concert in Nashville Tennessee last night.  I haven't been to very many concerts, but of the few that I have seen, this one was THE BEST!
I think Kid Rock is one of those entertainers that people either really like or can't stand.  I have always been "middle of the road" on him, he has some songs that I like and some I don't.  His persona is of over the top and cocky, but I have to admit that I admire him after seeing him live.  Before he even began the concert, he thanked all of our soldiers for their service and sacrifice for fighting securing the freedoms that we enjoy here in the United States.  I believe he even had some service men and women as special guests at the event.  Next, he thanked everyone who was in attendance by saying that with the state of our economy and how difficult is is for people to make ends meet, he was very grateful that the audience had spent hard-earned money to come out see the show, and he wanted everyone to get the best show possible for the money.  We did!


The show was opened by Jamey Johnson, who I had heard of, but I couldn't tell you a title of any song that he has ever sang.  He did a good job, but his musical style doesn't do much for me.  Each song he sang pretty much sounded the same.  After about 45 minutes, Kid Rock came out and started his show.  About 5-6 songs in, Trace Adkins came out with Kid Rock and they sang "Long Haired Country Boy" by Charlie Daniels.  They did a great job with that old favorite if mine.  About 5-6 more songs in, Kid started singing his song "Picture," and about two verses in, Cheryl Crow came out and sang it with him.  I like her contribution to the song (but I don't like her politics).


The whole show started at 7:30 pm last night, and it finished about 11:00 pm.  If you are familiar with the downtown part of Nashville, you know how tough it can be to drive around or find a place to park.  I decided to reserve a room in a hotel close to the Bridgstone Arena so we could easily park and walk to the venue, then after the show, we could walk back and stay the night.  The only hotel that I could get a room in was the Wyndham Union Station hotel, which is about 3 blocks from the arena.  I t was a bit pricey, but was a very nice place.
Its location couldn't have been any better for an easy walk to and from the arena. Union Station would be a great place to visit if you are into trains and historical value.  I thought it would be a nice change from the usual Drury Inn's that I try to stay in whenever we travel.





There is one downside to staying the night in a historic old train station located in the middle of city.  It seems that just because the station is no longer used in the railroad service doesn't mean that there are no railroad tracks and trains that still travel through Nashville ...duh on my part!
Here is the train that the nice Engineer was driving.  I'm sure he was required by some governing agency to blast the air horn for 2-3 minutes at 6:00 am!!

My butt is dragging this evening.  Will post more later.  Must get sleep!

Blue Steel

1 comment:

  1. I had such a good time that Friday night! My Santa is always so good to me! I'd go back any time for his show and anywhere with you!

    ReplyDelete