Friday, January 14, 2011

One Piece at a Time

I picked these AR receivers up at a pretty good bargain back last summer.  I knew that I wanted to build them into something that I haven't had before, but I couldn't afford to build them right away.  I have always had a tough time resisting instant gratification when it comes to firearms.  If I found something that piqued my interest, I would research religiously until a found one, then I would buy it.  As I age, I have mellowed out enough to delay my desires to lock n' load before I leave the parking lot.  So, my latest AR project has been as much of a treasure hunt for quality but cheap parts.

I bought the receivers at the best gun shop in the country Whittaker Guns in West Louisville, KY.  I say this because you can walk into Whittaker's and see anything from Hi-Point to Cooper to a Barrett .50 BMG and most everything in between.  The prices here are as competitive as any I've ever seen anywhere in the Bluegrass state, if your making a straight out purchase.  Whittaker still has these receivers listed  for $79.99 each, and if you like to buy in bulk, you get 10 for $76.99 each.  I thought that was a fair price especially if you priced and tried to buy a stripped receiver back after the election of our supreme leader.

I waited and watched the net for various sales and promotions until around November when Midway USA had a sale on lower parts kits for $59.00 each.  I asked Santa for two and bless his heart, I must have been a good boy the past year because they were under the tree Christmas morning!  

 I had a chance last week to drop the receivers and lower parts kits off at one of the local gun shops that offers gunsmith services to have the triggers kits installed.  After about four days, I got a call saying that the build couldn't be completed without extension tube, buffer, and spring.  Back to the internets for another bargain search.  I have liked the look and feel of the new Magpul ACS stock compared to most of the other options out there.  Plus the fact that Magpul makes a damn fine product, period.  I found an ACS stock kit for $135.00 plus free shipping.  Again, I felt like I had found a pretty good deal for my economical AR build.  UPS delivered the stock kits yesterday, so  after work this afternoon, I ran the stock kits by the gun shop and had them installed.  

In a couple more months, maybe I'll get a chance to put some uppers on these receivers and start to enjoy a little recoil therapy.

Ya'll have a good weekend.

Blue Steel

1 comment:

  1. Aha! Now that you reminded me, I do remember seeing this post. For the life of me, I can't remember why I didn't comment on the first go round 'cause I've been wanting to build my own AR for about a year now. I'm definitely going to have to check out the Magpul ACS stock. That looks like it would be a nice compromise between the A2 stock and a tactical adjustable stock.

    ReplyDelete