Saturday, January 22, 2011

Gun Show


I went to the gun show this morning.  I decided to try to get there early; close to the time it opened which is 9:00 am.   By the time I got ready and made the 30 minute drive to the show, it was close to 9:30 am.

  These local gun shows come about 3-4 times a year and they are made of small local gun shops and individual collector/dealers.  You can see anything from beanie babies to Springfield Armory M1A’s and all the usual stuff in between.  I plopped down my $5 entry and walked into the show.  Man, was I crazy to think getting there early was going to be more convenient.   The venue for the show is small anyway, with 4 rows of tables, two along the side walls and two down the center of the hall.  I didn’t even get a chance to choose where I wanted to go and take my time to look at the typical gun dealer offerings.  All I could do is jump into the flow of old overweight men slowly browsing the tables, tween boys just goofing off and plugging up the precious space where one could walk, and a few women following along oblivious to their surroundings and I’m would say waiting their turn to get to go to the local shopping mall after their husbands finished looking around.  The crowd sort of reminded me of the scenes you see on TV of raves, with people packed together and grinding each other from one side of the room to the other.

  I eventually made my way around the hall and along each of the 4 rows of tables and then out the door.  Total elapsed time in the show, 31 minutes.  It was one of the most disappointing shows that I have been to in a while. 

My morning trip reminded me of a post I seen somewhere earlier this week asking why the quantity and especially the quality of gun shows have degraded to what they are today?  What about in your area, are the gun shows as good as they were, say 20 years ago, or are they still a good place for enthusiasts to gather?

 What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I guess I have to consider myself fortunate living in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. We have at least 2 to 4 gun shows a month within an hour of my house. And we are talking huge shows taking up Dallas Market Hall and Will Rogers Convention Center in Ft. Worth. I have yet to be able to walk through a show in less than an hour. Invariably, we have more vendors than I can count, at least a dozen long double rows of tables and hundreds, if not, thousands of attendees. I am trying to remember back to my first gun show 15+ years ago, but I can't say that I remember it clearly enough for comparison purposes. My gut reaction is that there has been no change, and they are still a great place for enthusiasts to gather. There is always something or someone new to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the first big show that I attended in Louisville, Ky. back in the early-mid 80's was huge. It filled 3 huge exhibition halls. I walked through that thing from start to close and couldn't see a 1/3 of the stuff there because there was so much. I wouldn't know what to do if there were 2-4 shows a month in my area. I'm sure my collection would be larger and my bank account much smaller!

    ReplyDelete