Monday, November 22, 2010

What I want for Christmas!

Somewhere, in a musty old chest, there are some picture albums with hundreds of pictures in them.  One of those albums has many 70's era polaroid pictures of me sitting on Santa Claus' lap and telling him all the cool stuff that I wanted.  I remember one year that I asked for a stretch armstrong, hungry hungry hippos, and matchbox cars.  I think I got gloves, socks, underwear, and baseball glove and baseball.  I enjoyed the underwear more than the baseball stuff if that tells you anything about my personality!






So yesterday, my wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas this year.  Now, I believe that I am a very easy person to buy gifts for.  I like anything shooting/firearms related.  That doesn't mean I expect my wife to have a new Benelli Vinci all wrapped with a bow under the tree for me Christmas morning (though I would be a very grateful husband :-).  I would be satisfied with a box of bullets, bag of brass, can of Wipe-out bore cleaner, set of cleaning jags and bag of cotton patches, or most anything in that line.


Actually, several years back, my wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I just happened to have a list ready (printed on a Midway order form).  I have got more use from my gifts that year than I can remember.  I got a brass tumbler, 1000 pieces of .45 ACP brass, some Hornaday A-MAX bullets, and a set of reloading dies.


Can you tell that I am probably like most men and am totally satisfied with practical gifts that I can use for my hobbies or for stuff around the house.  I still get socks and underwear, but I'm actually glad to get them now.  My wife, on the other hand, is very difficult to buy gifts for.  She never asks for anything specific.  She doesn't have any particular hobby that I can buy stuff for.  She doesn't wear or ask for any specific kind of jewelry or cosmetics or clothing.  There is one thing that my wife is almost compulsive about and I decided to play on that as a method of gifting her.  She is a button pusher!  She loves electronic gadgets and equipment that she can push buttons on, work through and figure out.  So, I decided what a better gift for her than an iPod.  If it is possible to wear out an iPod, she has worn it out.  I had to upgrade it for her on her birthday and get her one with more memory to hold all the pictures, videos, movies and junk that she had on the thing.  She was happy.  Now, I'm faced with the problem of how I can top that gift.  I hope I can come up with something she will enjoy as much as that stinking iPod.


Back to what I want for Christmas.  My requests are short, simple, and practical once again. And I'm going back to the well once again (thank you, Midway).  I want NEED two lower parts kits for a couple AR-15 lower receivers that I bought back this summer.  A year and a half ago, I started build an AR-15 in 5.56 like I wanted.  I decided to build it like Johnny Cash's Cadillac, one piece at a time, until I finished it out.  I finished it last spring.










As you can tell in the above picture, my AR is ready to go, and with a little range time to get it sighted in, I should have a .223 shucking machine that the coyotes better watch out for.  My next project will be a something new with these lowers.  I want to build one in 5.56 for my dad, but the other...


I'm thinking something in a 6.8 for use on bigger game.  


I hope Santa is listening, I'm way too big to sit on his lap now!


Blue Steel

1 comment:

  1. Gift certificates for Midway or Brownell's are definitely Santa's little helpers. Since you're building AR's, just tell the kids, "Daddy needs more blocks for his Lego set."

    I'm out of the running for Christmas this year, as I just bought myself a Kindle, and finally found that Ruger .44 carbine I've been wanting, all in the last two weeks.

    The wife? Same problem as you:
    "What do you want for Christmas, honey?"
    "Nothing."
    "No, seriously, I want to get you something. What would you like?"
    "I don't need anything."
    "That's not the point. Isn't there something that you want?"
    "No, really, I'm fine."

    (Grrr)

    Then yesterday she tells me she'd like to go to the mall on Friday. As in Black Friday. Well, after all that prior conversation about "whatever she wants", I can't turn her down.
    Keep in mind, she's in a wheelchair.
    That gives me two days to install the cowcatcher, rocket launchers, and other crowd-control devices.

    As for your wife, if she likes to read, I'd seriously recommend an e-reader. A Kindle or a Nook, depending on personal needs and preferences, would be a good choice.

    Happy Thanksgiving!
    Rick

    ReplyDelete