Thursday, October 14, 2010

Stereotype or Reality

I had to sit in the local walk-in clinic lobby today, waiting to see a doctor.  As I was waiting, a young woman came in and sat down in front of me.  I doubt that she was 20 years old and she already had 4 kids ranging in age from 6 months to 6 years.  She told a lady acquaintance sitting with her that the kids had lice.  She also told her friend that the husband/boyfriend/baby daddy was looking for a job and trying to get his GED, that they were living with his grandma, that they didn’t have any money, any gasoline, or any money for medicine.  The girl didn’t have any idea how the kids got lice, but she had an encyclopedic knowledge of the difference between Staffordshire Terriers and the American Pit Bull dog. 

I’m certainly not an elitist.  I’m not trying to judge anyone based on their unfortunate situation.  But, don’t you think that if this young lady had made better decisions in her life (and still has time to) that she might not be living the white trash lifestyle.  Am I stereotyping these people, or are they the literal type that we think of when we hear the term?

I’m sure glad that I made good choices early in life, or I could’ve wound up in the exact situation.
Blue Steel

No comments:

Post a Comment